Name of the School : St. Teresa’s Nursery School
Year of Establishment : 1867
Rev.Fr Mary Louis Martelli OCD, the Vicar of the Holy Trinity Church Cananore wanted to begin the work of education for girls in Cananore and he erected a convent with the financial help of Bishop Michael Antony. The Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparation came from Mangalore and took charge of the School in March 1867.
Mother Teresa Mackenzie, was the first superior and Headmistress. The school was known as St. Joseph’s school in the beginning. There was a remarkable uplift in spiritual, educational, social, economic, and cultural life of the society with the Sisters generous interventions. On the 25th of August 1871, the Sisters of St. Joseph was incorporated into the Apostolic Carmel and renamed as St. Teresa’s.
In March 1885 Malayalam was introduced as the second language. Rev. Fr. Zanetti S J purchased the house and compound close to the convent and gave to the sisters for their use. Under the guidance of Fr. Buzzoni and a drill hall was constructed.
Mother Marie Des Anges purchased the convent, boarding house, and the school hall with its premises from Bishop Cavadini for RS.3000/- in 1901. In 1906, the code of regulations for European Schools came into force. In 2012 a play school was opened with 104 students and 4 staff.
|Address||St. Teresa’s Nursery School, Burnacherry PO, Kannur 670 013|
|Telephone No.||0497 2707272|
|Year of Establishment||1867|
|Aided / Unaided||Unaided|
|Headmistress||Sr. Lucy George A.C.|
|Manager||Sr. Lucy George A. C.|