Kolayad is a mission station tucked away in the forest area of Kannavam. 12 ½ acres of land was purchased by Mother Isabel in 1932. But we had to wait for God’s time to begin the Missionsery work at Kolayad. Meantime a school for girls was opened at Kolayad by the Parish managed by secular teachers.
In April 1939 Bishop Proserpio. S.J. of Calicut approached Mother Josephine the Superior General to take charge of the School.
Rev. Fr. James Montinari. S. J. the Ardent Missionary of St. Cornelius Church and Brother Baviera.S.J. added a shed to the exiting school building and partitioned a part of it with bamboo tatties to provide room for sleeping, kitchen, store, refectory and bathing rooms all in one. With this arrangements the good fathers welcomed Srs. Milburga and Lydwin on June 5th 1939. An orphanage was opened for better attendance and children were lodged in the school itself. Sr. Serphia was 3rd member for this community and she was in charge of the orphanage. There were 12 boys as orphans who were fed from here and lodged by the priest.
In June 1941 Sr. Verda took charge. By the end of January 1944 a new wing and a chapel was built. On 26th January 1944 the Bishop came over to bless and consecrate crucifix, ciborium and chalice. That day Mother Josephine requested him to hand over to the Apostolic Carmel the school building and little bit of ground around it. With his consent Frs. Sequiera and Gregory marked out the boundary. On 27th January gave the presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament to the sisters and inmates of the Convent. On this day there were 9 adult Baptism too.
Due to the upgrading of the school into Higher Elementary school the Children’s Home grew in numbers but there were difficulties regarding accommodation.
A new epoch opened in the history of the Parish and the convent when the Carmelite Fathers were given charge of the Church and estate. Then onwards the convent had the privilege of having daily Mass. After 15 years of the opening of this convent the Apostolic Carmel welcomed into the Novitiate several vocations. It was this time that Linguistic states were formed and Malabar became a part of Kerala.
During the period of 1974 to 1977 the strength of the school went up to 600. The sisters could not accommodate more than 50 in the children’s home. Sister Benhilda after years of illness was called home to God on 20th March 1975. In 1976 the long felt need of the sisters was fulfilled. The institution got running water. We were the happy recipients of a donation for Rs.1,21,200/- from the Misserior for a new building for the children’s home and the foundation was laid in February 1980. The growing strength of the school created a little problem and the Province came to the rescue by giving sanction to put up a new block so that we could apply for bifurcation of classes.
In the year 1989 February 24th the Golden Jubilee of the convent was celebrated in a fitting manner. His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Maxwell Noronha the Bishop of Calicut celebrated the Jubilee Mass.
In 1999 November 19th with nine members the inauguration of A.C.A took place in our convent.
On 9th November 2009 the new convents foundation stone was laid and started the work and was completed and blessed by Bishop Varghese Chakkalakkal on 15th February 2011.
Foundation stone for Children’s Home was laid by Sr. Ancilla on 7th October 2014. We received Rs.1,00,000/- as donations to the same by Mr. Stanly Sr.Celsa’s brother. On this day six A.C.A members were received by our Provincial as permanent members. On 21st November 2015 Bishop Alex Vadkumthala blessed the Children’s Home.
The old children’s home the part which was not put down was remodeled and made 12 rooms for working women and it was blessed on 18th June 2016. The first inmate to this was Mrs.Melba a vetenary doctor. At present there are 4 working women. St. Xavier’s children’s home continues to be at the service to the girls who live in interior places away from schools and come from broken families. They are given special coaching, counseling and opportunities to develop their talents etc., and they are our first concern.
St. Xavier’s Convent
Kolayad (PO),Kannur – 670 650.
Kerala, PH: 0490-2302565