Holy Cross Convent, Mananthavady – 1932
The Wayanad hills slope gently towards the Malabar plain and are connected by the bus routes with coastal towns and the Deccan Plateau. The European tea planters found these slopes ideal for tea estates and with the help of Anglo Indian over seers and hill people as workers, large areas went under the tea cultivation..In1924 the Malayalee parishioners had petitioned the Bishop for a convent school. In 1929 a small school was begun by Fr. Lombardini.SJ, the parish priest and was run by two lay teachers.
In March 1930 Fr. Lombardini requested Mother General to take over the parish school. The collector had promised the Hospital hill for a school, free of assessment.. Fr. Lombardini also obtained 7 acres of land on the eclipse hill. The Holy Cross convent was actually opened in June 1932. On 16th May 1933 Holy Cross Convent was made a regular canonically erected house. A New school building was put up and blessed on 3rd May 1937. The majority of the students were Catholics, all very poor and needed help in many little ways. This school proved to be a blessing in this backward area. The orphanage was shifted to eclipse hill in 1990. In 1995 Little Flower UP school was given permission to start the parallel English medium classes from 5th std onwards. The Malayalam UKG was converted to English medium and an English private school was Started in 1996. This school was later shifted to eclipse hill. Having a loyal and hard working teachers is the hallmark of this school. The people of the locality are well disposed to the school.
Institution under Holy Cross Convent
- Little Flower A.U.P School – 1932
Holy Cross Convent
Mananthavady – 670 645
Convent : 04935 296354
UP School : 04935 242999